Leader is a rank you can get in an alliance. The leader has full control over the alliance.
A leader can
- Access the "Requests" tab and accept or refuse membership requests. The requesting member will receive the usual "Accepted" message, "sent" from the leader of the alliance, regardless of who actually accepted him.
- Kick players from the alliance, which will suffer the usual 72-hour block from that alliance.
- Modify the status with other alliances, making them friendly, neutral, or enemy.
- Appoint new Lieutenants (apparently an infinite number of them) and revoke their privileges.
- Appoint a new Leader. Once a Leader has appointed another, one then becomes a Lieutenant until the new Leader demotes him to a Recruit or one leaves the alliance.
- Change the description of the alliance.
Only the Leader may disband an alliance, by kicking all remaining members and leaving the alliance. This forfeits all of the bases conquered by the alliance, leaving a hole on the territorial map.
The Leader is generally seen as the center of morale and direction in an alliance. Alliances can survive and even thrive without an active leader, due to the fact that Lieutenants have almost the same powers as a Leader (with the exception of being able to change the rank of fellow members). However, a strong, friendly Leader supported by Lieutenants is more functional and usually better for growth.
Interestingly, if one views the base of any fellow alliance member, next to the username of the viewed player the symbol of the leader will be depicted.